Sorry in advance for my feature photo on this post! I forgot to take a photo of the lasagne after it came out of the oven haha!
There are four main points to making lasagne;
1. Preparing your station
2. Making the pasta sheets
3. Cooking the beef sauce
4. Making and baking your Lasagne!
Step 1: Preparing your station
• 3 large eggs
• 1 cup of ‘00’ flour (plus extra for dusting)
• 1 tsp. oil
• 1 tsp. water
• 500g beef mince
• 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 bottle of tomato pasta sauce (no additives)
• 2 cups of chopped brown onions
• 1 punnet of sliced mushroom
• 1 cup of frozen peas
• 1 tbsp. minced garlic
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. parsley
• 1 tsp. salt and pepper
Step 2: Making the pasta sheets
1. Pour flour onto your kitchen table or bench
2. Create a circular well
3. Place oil and water in the centre of the well
4. Crack each egg over the centre, throw away egg shells.
5. Slowly mix all ingredients together, starting at the edges. Continue to do so until it starts to form a crumbly texture.
6. Knead the pasta dough for 5 – 6 minutes or until it reaches an elastic consistency
7. Cut pasta dough into three pieces
8. Wrap two of the pieces in glad wrap and refrigerate
9. Flatten first piece of dough to ½ cm in thickness
10. Select the thickest setting on your pasta machine, slowly roll the pasta through
11. Fold the pasta sheet in half length-wise and repeat
12. Lower the thickness setting on your pasta machine by two settings and repeat.
13. Slice the dough into two rectangle pieces, glad wrap and refrigerate
14. Repeat the above for the remaining two pieces of dough.
Step 3: Cooking the beef sauce
1. Heat oil in large pot on the stove
2. Add onion, mushroom and garlic stir until lightly brown
3. Add beef mince and break it up until it is no longer pink
4. Add peas and continue to stir for 2 minutes
5. Slowly pour tomato sauce into pot
6. Add parsley, as well as salt and pepper
7. Mix well for 1 minute
8. Reduce to medium heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Making and baking your Lasagne!
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
2. Fill a large pot with water and boil
3. Remove already prepared lasagne sheets from the fridge and place into boiling water
4. Cook for 5-6 minutes, then strain out water
5. Place two sheets, side by side, on the bottom of your oven dish
6. Use your spoon to scoop 1/3 of beef mince sauce and spread evenly over the sheets
7. Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese over the top
8. Place another two sheets on top of the mozzarella
9. Scoop ½ of the sauce and spread evenly
10. Sprinkle ½ of the mozzarella evenly
11. Place last two sheets on top of the mozzarella
12. Apply remaining sauce and then finish off with the remaining mozzarella
13. Place oven foil over your lasagne dish and place it in the oven.
14. Cook for 45 minutes
15. Remove from oven and serve
You know that saying: “good things come to those who wait”? I feel like they were definitely talking about lasagne with that one! Although time-consuming, this is one of my favourite ever dishes!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!